Friday, September 16, 2016

To Tangle an Adirondack Chair...

My good friend Karen asked if I would tangle a chair for a charity auction, an Adirondack chair to be exact.
Karen's husband, Randy, offered to paint the chair white and deliver it so all I had to do was add the final details.

This is what it looked like when Randy dropped it off:



I confess that it sat like this in my office/studio for a solid month, very much in the way of things.
It stared at me.
It rocked my granddaughter.
It rocked me.
It became a "catch all" and collected miscellaneous objects.
It reminded me of unfinished projects.
It sat.

 Life is full.  Sometimes waiting for the right time, mindset, and inspiration to begin can take longer than I anticipate.

Since learning and practicing the Zentangle® Method, I have come to enjoy that waiting time.

I am not anxious about how long it takes me to begin and I have confidence in the outcome - just a few of wonderful benefits of tangling.

My approach to the chair was similar to a tile.  I used the slats as string lines and decided to pattern each one separately.

With paint pen in hand, one morning I began.

Charity Chair Project  -  Adele Bruno, CZT
Keeping the tangles large, the tops of the arms were completed first, followed by the checkered edges.  Working off this idea, I tangled Knightsbridge down the middle slat and worked outward to each side.

Charity Chair Project - Adele Bruno, CZT
Again the chair sat for several days.
My family weighed in with opinions.  Leave the seat white?  Tangle it?
I decided to tangle it.
Once that was finished, the entire thing begged to be tangled!

Charity Chair Project - Adele Bruno, CZT
I added little dots to the white spaces underneath and on the back.  It tied everything together nicely.

Here is a view from the top ~
Charity Chair Project - Adele Bruno, CZT
Notice those large black perfs dotting Keeko?  I added them after some neighboring lines ran over each other...a creative opportunity :)

And the finished chair ~
Charity Chair Project - Adele Bruno, CZT

Thank you for taking the journey with me.
Enjoy!


18 comments:

  1. What a treasure for someone to own. I hope it earns lots of money for the charity. I really like the checked edges and I'm so glad you did the entire chair. And, yes, I was wondering about those black dots on Keeko!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me smile that you noticed them. I added a few here and there around the chair to tie them in :)

      Delete
  2. So pretty, elegant, simple, and sweet! I especially like the illusion of the seat board third from the back that appears to be holding up the one behind it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. That tangle is Cubine (Maria Thomas).

      Delete
  3. Stunning.... what a blessing to whoever gets it at the auction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just gorgeous, Adele. I would so bid on that chair! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderfully awesome!!! I wish it were mine! What kind of pen did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a paint pen from a craft store. At the time I purchased it, the store had only their private label pens, no national brands. I was hesitant to use them, but they worked beautifully - very smooth application of paint and the nibs held up well.

      Delete
  6. Whatan awesome work of ART Adele, you are such a good friend and, and love the Rocker her husband made. I love rockers, have several and for me they relax me more with each 'rock'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patsy. You just may have to tangle one of your own.

      Delete
  7. Love that chair - also love your writing. I so much agree with what you said about the waiting time and not being anxious - it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so pleasing to the eye. Just lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful piece of art Adele. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, Adele! You are truly amazing. Your inspired contributions to the Zentangle community are a blessing, and your sweet spirit is an uplifting breeze which blows east to west, and around the world.
    Can we thank and praise you enough? I don't think so. Kudos and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is just stunning. I love it. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete