Tuesday, February 7, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #182 Tiles

Happy Monday!

We have much to celebrate this week:  beautiful heart filled tiles, seven new participants (seven!), and two new countries added to our tangled map.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Amy Barnickel (Florida) ~
...Meh. Sometimes you have high hopes for your tile, and it just comes out kinda "meh." That's how I felt about this one...
 Tangled Tidbits -
We'll create a new word and turn meh into a positive - how about mehvelous :)
*pretty details for Amore
*LG layers accented with shading


A very warm welcome to Lisa Burns (Ohio) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*heart flowers
*aura and Tipple accented Opus

Lisa is now on our tangled map, welcome!



From Shirley (Queensland, Australia) ~
Hi Adele, another lovely set of patterns to play with, Thank you.
Attached is my drawing for this week’s - It’s A String Thing # 182
Tangled Tidbits -
*Opus forms a heart
*striped accents on Amore


From Nelly (Switzerland) ~
Thank you for the lovely heart patterns. I will keep it in my pattern book!
And because soon, it will be Valentine’s Day, the hearts had do be RED.
Till next week. I can hardly wait see the diversity of patterns that will unfold at the next weekly challenge.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*LG shaded through the centers
*detailed aura of Opus


From Ria Matheussen (Belgium) ~
Thank you for this lovely challenge, which remind me that it is almost the 14 th. of Februar.
I 've learned two (for me new) patterns and I have enjoyed drawing them.
So, here is my entry for this week:Kind regards from Belgium
Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura becomes an element all its own - long lines, shading and highlights
*black background accents LG



From Renee (Tennessee) ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Amore blends beautifully with Opus
*layers of aura for LG



From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
So fun to have a Valentine challenge. Hearts everywhere!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*heart tipped single curl of Opus
*Tipple filled LG and three accent lines for Amore all wrapped up with beautiful shading



From Robin Steinbeck (Painesville, Ohio) ~
He's my tile for this week's IAST. I really enjoyed this one!!
Thanks💖
Tangled Tidbits - 
*weighted lines of Opus and Tipple filled aura
*Amore, pretty in pink



A very warm welcome to Lilly (Germany) ~
I learned about your great challenge on a Zentangle seminar by Nadine Roller in Cologne, Germany.
It is an interesting project, usually we do all have our favorite patterns and strings, don't we? With your IAST we are challenged to cross our own limits. And instead of hurting, it is fun! Thank you so much for the wonderful idea.
Attached my tile for No. 182. All the best and thanks again!Sunny smiles from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating dark and light aura of Opus
*sparkled Tipple behind a double string of Amore

Lilly is now on our tangled map, welcome!  Please send my best to Nadine :)



A very warm welcome to Eleanore Miller (Sint Maarten) ~
I am a first-time submitter. Some of the regular submitters from Mosaic encouraged me to send these files for IAST #182. Hope you don't mind that I submitted two. Feel free to choose one. I like them both, although it is so much easier to see the string in the "whole tile" tangle than the other one. I have been tangling since the end of April, 2016, but I am self taught. I will be attending seminar at the end of April with the hope of bringing Zentangle to this tiny island. Then I won't have to tangle alone! Actually, it's to help students with attention problems learn to focus and give seniors on the island something to do in their retirement homes, but it will still be with someone other than myself. Thankfully, the Mosaic community has been very helpful to me. I am a prime example of artistically challenged, but I seem to do OK with Zentangle!
On Mosaic, I am DrEllie. I have just started a Facebook page called TangleSXM. Also just started is a new WordPress blog site at http://TangleSXM.com. Thank you.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted, sparkled aura
*heart tipped Opus
*long, flowing LG
*Tipple accented Opus

Adding Eleanore to the map, marks the first ever submission from Sint Maarten.  Welcome Eleanore and best of luck as you spread the tangled joy in your island home!



From Henrike Bratz (Germany) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*tangles float over deep black spaces - notice how Tipple pops with more black space around it
*Opus springs from Amore



From Lisette Hofer (Switzerland) ~
What a LOVEly challenge - thank you Adele! Here my contribution with Amore, LG (both new to me) and Opus. I used a red marker and a water brush and Gansai Tambi Starry Gold Color for the gilded hearts.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*gilded LG
*red and pink filled Amore



From Gudrun (Germany, BW) ~
here is my contribution to your wonderful challenge for this week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Amore, LG border
*aura-ed interlocking Opus


A very warm welcome to Susie
First, thanks for all the work you put into your IAST challenges. Websites like yours make it easy for the tanglers among us that often suffer from string/pattern decision making.
This is my first tile I contribute. I missed the due date last week so I checked your website early to make sure I have something for #182. I believe to have covered the patterns lg and amore, but if you can’t find opus…it is heavily ‘fragmented’ all over the tile. If you still can’t recognize anything familiar…believe ME!
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderfully fragmented Opus
*splendid aura, sparkle, and striping
Welcome to our tangled map, Susie!



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
I think I'm in too much of a hurry to do your challenge (I so look forward to them) since when I see some of the entries they are so beautiful and I ask myself what was I thinking of? So I did this waited two days and turned out I still liked it so here it is.
Tangled Tidbits - 
I like the way you think - and yes, it is beautiful.
*pretty layers of pink and red LG
*a tangle for each string section



From Heidi (Utah) ~
Here is my entry for this week's string thing challenge. It was fun playing with these patterns and the string was elegantly simple. It sort of reminds me of a little cottage window, looking out thru vines to all the fallen leaves on the forest floor. Fun to color, too!
thanks for the challenge
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful imagery and coloring of the layered tangles
*lovely layers of LG


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
It's been a while - but here I am with a tile for your weekly challenge. I'm not a big fan of hearts but this week there just seemed little places where they fitted within Opus, as if they were meant to be there. Embellished Amore winding up each side. Auras galore! A bit of tinkering to get a pleasing balance of light, dark and in between. Grey pen Tipple. Lots of graphite. And there you have it. It's good to be back!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura of the inner hearts of Opus form a ridge, tangles share aura, lovely layers of grey
*aura, dots, shading, sparkle for Amore
Welcome back!


From Mariam G ( Port Huemene, California) ~
This was fun, and the whole 'love' thing had all sorts of songs popping into my head while drawing: 'My Heart(s) will go on and on", "Can't help it I'm fallin'", etc...you get the picture! Anyway, I decided to put it on a black background before submitting, as I didn't seem to know when to stop drawing hearts :-)Can't wait to see what you have for us next week.
Tangled Tidbits - 
Now you have us all singing!
*weighted aura of Opus
*LG and Amore intertwine



From Kate Ahrens, CZT (Minnesota) ~
Here is my tile for this weeks challenge. I really found this a fun one.
Tangled Tidbits -
*entire field of Tipple shaded makes the tangles stand out
*weighted lines of Opus and multiple sizes of Amore



From Hilary (Chicago) ~
This one was fun to do. I thought some color would be good. I hope I didn't get carried away!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Opus springs into Amore
*multiple aura of Opus and the color is wonderful



From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
My contribution to this week's challenge. Tipple behaved itself when I
added it to Opus, but after that I'm afraid it became a wee bit 'freefloating'!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple with a personality! - shaded, light, and dark sparkled
*sparkle repeats in all tangles



From Lynn Gotham (Florida) ~
Happy Valentines Day Such fun tangles for the season, thanks Adele.
Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant glittery layers
*heart filled spaces of Opus


From Barbara Steyer (Germany) ~
this week I am a little late. Your choice of tangles was such a pleasure to draw.
Love the little hearts!
Wish you a nice weekend and appreciate your notes.Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*triple Opus center accented with white aura
*white hearts of LG and a pop of red for Amore



From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
This challenge was so relaxing and fun, Maybe because all of the patterns complement each other really well. I loved the way "LG" filled "Opus" and created some kind of flowing trees and then I thought what if this trees produced some "amore" fruit? So let's add some lovely fruit from the tree branches. Lovely patterns, lovely tile... you can feel the love. I guess your love for your husband transpire into a lovely pattern that wherever we add it transforms the tile into a warm and love feeling. Thanks Adele for the patterns and for the challenge! ❤️
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for the lovely thoughts ♡
*LG filled Opus - fabulous idea
*deep black background make the highlights glow



A very warm welcome to Lovelygiraffe (Japan) and here on her Instagram ~
here is my tile for your weekly challenge.I began practicing zentangle in earnest since I entered 2017. Such a challenge that we can interact with the works of people from all over the world will be a great learning experience. I am honored to participate.
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful Opus filled spaces of Amore
*LG center hearts left light accent the aura - very pretty

Lovelygiraffe is the first to submit a tile from Japan, her name and banner are added to our map. Welcome!



A very warm welcome to Beatrice Ernesty (France) ~
First time I post for the challenge I hope I do it right Have a nice day !

Tangled Tidbits - 
*alternating shaded aura lines
*tipple and sparkled Amore
You are now on our tangled map, Beatrice.  Welcome!



From Jutta Gladnigg (Germany) ~
Thank you, Adele, for this hearty Valentine's Day Challenge!!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*checkered centers of LG pop against all the curved lines
*Opus curls intertwine and Amore wonders through the tangles




From Katherine Crane-Thielen (Nova Scotia, Canada) ~
Another fun Valentine design. I love incorporating your Amore and LG tangles together.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Amore interlaced with LG
*Opus sans aura



From Jennifer (Switzerland) ~
I really enjoyed this latest challenge - so much so that what you see here is my fourth version! I added some Aquafleur and had a great time doing Opus. I love both your hearty tangles, what a treat to tangle with.
Tangled Tidbits -
How fun!
*aura adds depth
*Tipple filled tangles and string spaces



From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to challenge no. 182.
Have a nice weekend!
Greetings from Germany!


Tangled Tidbits -
*Opus accented with dots, Tipple, and black spaces
*dots repeat as an aura for Amore



From Sabine (Germany) ~
What a lovely and funny challenge this week. Here is my contribution. Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*offset Opus curls create fun spaces for Tipple
*multiple aura and pretty coloring of Amore



From sra (India) ~
Amore and LG turned intense and Love Overgrew in this piece of mine as I looked for ways to layer and pile the hearts on to one another. 🤣Thanks for hosting and have a good week ahead!
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty clusters of LG
*light and dark Opus and Amore flow from them



From Simone Menzel, CZT (Germany) ~
I love the February, when hearts are coming into Zentangle focus ;-)
Normally, I would NEVER draw hearts voluntarily ;-)
Very nice challenge this week!
I like your tangles and they do match perfect with Opus.I wish you a great weekend!
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura of Opus and LG come together, create wonderful sense of depth
*dark, sparkled Tipple and super shading throughout


From Juul (France) ~
Here is my tile for this weeks challenge.,,
Tangled Tidbits -
*Opus springs from Amore and the base of LG
*rows of detailed aura for LG



From Linda (Pennsylvania) ~
This one put me in a Valentine mood. I'm thinking I will make some valentine cards with tangles and color. That will be fun!
Tangled Tidbits -
I'll be doing the same, for sure.
*one large LG blends with Amore
*Tipple filled Opus



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~

In the attachment my tile # 182 for this week.
It was so different to do this tile than last week's. It was very relaxing. I love Opus, although I think I went a little too big with Opus this time. It is a bit out of proportion. And of course I had to color the hearts:)
Have a Happy Valentine to everybody.
Tangled Tidbits -
*the larger black and white Opus is a wonderful compliment to the smaller, colorful LG and Amore
*Amore dangles



From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Lots of fun with this one! Your tangles are super fun to draw. The hardest thing about drawing hearts is getting both sides symmetrical. Amore solves that problem with the extra stoke. Genius! These are staying in my repertoire.
Tangled Tidbits -
*inner aura for Amore and Opus accents too
*bouquet of created with LG



From Jane (Boulder, Colorado) ~
Well, another week goes by and I'm happy I was able to get my "assignment" done-- :)
Here's my sweet "valentangle" for this week's challenge...used a lovely pinkish pre-watercolored paper. Started with the left most row of Amore along the right string line and then added the other two variations with a touch of some colored pencil...a piece of some Flux on the left string line, which left the center area for your delightful LG...I use this pattern all the time on greeting cards...decided not to fill in the entire area and only shaded a little of the overlapping parts leaving a lot of the pretty paint to show...sweet and simple!
Have a great week...and as always, thanks for everything!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fine lines and soft colors, very dreamy
*detail lines repeat in Opus and Amore


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I have missed Tickled to Tangle so much! Ever since I announced my intention to retire things have been a whirlwind. Each week I would read the upcoming challenge, and of course the next week I would look at all the entries, but I just never found the time to settle down and tangle. I figured I would have "all the time in the world" once I retired. (I did the same thing with going for a morning walk ... put it off with the excuse I'd pick it up again once retired.) I retired as of Wednesday, and I've walked every day (beginning Thursday) (OK that's three days) (but it's a start) and have resumed the Tickled to Tangle challenges.
This week I kind of mashed up all your instructions. I put LG into a string Amore-style. And LG already uses aura! Also I used your Tipple variation of Amore in the LGs. So voila, LG, Amore, aura, and Tipple. I drew each Opus "sprig" wrapped around a big giant Tipple (mostly because I wanted to make a space to use sparkle, because I've missed it so much.) Unfortunately the LG/Amore/aura/Tipple and the Opus/Tipple are more like standing side-by-side than playing nicely together ... but it's a start.
Tangled Tidbits -
We can say they are standing nicely together.
*a large Tipple at the end of each Opus curl - and sparkled (We have missed you!)
*morph of tangles created a new one


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
I hope this finds you well and having warm and wonderful weather. I love anything to do with hearts so all of the tiles popping up lately are just amazing. Can’t wait to see what everyone has done this week.
All my best to you!
Tangled Tidbits -
*delightful details galore - shaded clusters of Tipple with a few shaded like pearls, shadow shading of Amore curls, sparkled LG, vibrant colors
*white space accentuates the details and color


From Michele Wynne (California) ~
Here's this week's sketchbook fun with two versions of the challenge. Thanks so much for all you do
Tangled Tidbits -
* super sparkle, aura, and shading
*Opus flows from aura of Amore and creates interesting aura-ed spaces for Tipple to fill



From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Hi Adele here it’s still very hot and windy and the strong winds are causing torrential rains in the northern provinces of South Africa, as well as in Namibia which is a semi-desert to full on desert country. Fires are still breaking out in parts of the Western Cape where we live. See Chilli has had similar events lately.
Tile 182! Great challenge. Love your patterns Amore and LG – old favourites, I see as I look through previous years’ challenges. Opus is so versatile and worked well this week, what with all the auras and Tipples. Of course, I had to include the colour red, synonym with the Valentine’s season, hence the tiny splashes of brightness. All in all, very satisfying me time. Have a wonderful week all you fellow zentanglers.
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for the update, praying for needed relief.
*wonderful layers of LG, sizes, colors, shading and sparkle add depth
*multiple aura for Opus



From Patricia (Switzerland) ~
Here is my tangle on a normal cream zentangle tile. The colour
Is a bit strange but I used a black pen as usual. I like your tangles and the opus a lot.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*four LG form a flower, larger ones are shaded from the outer edges
*Tipple filled Opus


From Pat (Washington State) ~
I realize this is late, but I had so much fun with this that I had to forward to you anyway. Thanks for the challenge
Tangled Tidbits - 
Now, that is a Valentine celebration - great photo!
*lovely gold accented tangles
*tangles flow from one to another



From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) and here on her blog ~


Tangled Tidbits - 
*arua-ed curls of Opus - great variation
*pretty details decorate LG aura lines


A very warm welcome to Irene Harvey (State College, Pennsylvania) ~
Here is my first entry.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura of LG flows horizontally, tangle accented with black background
*lace like look created with Opus
Irene is on the tangled map, welcome!



From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Well, I've got to dedicate this tile to the New England Patriots ... hearts full and full of hearts!
Opus ... a first time for me to use this tangle ... love it!!!Cheers for the prompt, Opus, and a Super Bowl filled with great plays from both teams. Never a dull moment!
Tangled Tidbits - 
Your tile must have inspired the champions, congratulations!
*tangles are layered, great sense of depth with weighted aura lines
*cascading curls of Opus


From Brenda Urbanik, CZT (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Trying really hard to participate, it keeps me sane...Sending you hugs across the oceans.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*LG filled Opus spaces
*shaded Tipple filled spaces make aura-ed Opus curls shine


This is my tile - the one that inspired this week's challenge.  I completed it a few weeks ago for a class I was teaching.  After seeing today's colorful takes on LG and Amore from everyone, I'm off to tangle some Valentines!  
  

And now...


the tile for honors this week...


was sent in by...



Lily Moon from Hungary ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*three center LG hearts, deep in color, shading, and highlights
*hearts inside LG, at the base in one strand and the top in the other
*shadowed Opus
*a touch of Tipple in Opus
*highlights of the brown Opus create a concave effect


Congratulations, Lily!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

A huge thank you to all of the contributors to this week's challenge.
Please know that I appreciate and treasure your kindnesses and encouragements as well. 

Many thanks to Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas for Opus
the tangle we used this week along with my string, LG, and Amore.


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #183!












10 comments:

  1. All of these tiles are awesome! Thank you very much Adele for your chosen. I'm honored! 💖

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you are going to need a personal assistant very soon!!! There are so many entries, all of them beautiful! Thank you Adele!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brenda, I love the idea of a personal assistant and it never hurts to dream :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the round-up, Adele! - Sra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tickled to be added to your map! Thank you, on behalf of Sint Maarten and myself. 🌴🌸💕
    Such a treat to view the shared works of such talented tanglers! Humbled to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed the deadline but have posted my challenge on my blog.
    https://madebyjoey.blogspot.ca/2017/02/its-string-thing-182.html
    We are currently weathering a snow storm here on the West Coast of Canada, a rare occurrence for us!
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sending the link to your tile. Have fun in the snow!

      Delete
  6. Oh how excited I am to see my first IAST tile amongst these beauties! <3 It is so cool how everybody tangles the same, but yet, all the tiles look 100% different. Can't wait to see the next ones... Thanks Adele for this wonderful idea to challenge us!

    ReplyDelete